Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Fortune Cookies and Horoscopes

You will have a new look that will do wonders. This is what my fortune cookie said the day before my cast was to come off.

The next morning, my horoscope arrived in my inbox and it read:
You may feel an increased enthusiasm today, which may be due to the changes you have been making in your life recently. When we experience positive changes in our lives we are buoyed by our increase of positive energy. We can use this energy to continue to change our lives for the better, since change only happens when we make a conscious effort to do so.

It was as if the Universe was aligning just for me - just for my BIG DAY!

Things went well at the doc that day. My cast came off. The x-rays look good. Even the 7-week-old pedicure is still going strong.

Now I'm in a camo boot, which my online friend Sarah calls "Robo Boot." I am to wear it whenever I am up and moving around. I can weight bear up to 50% with crutches, though I'm having a tough time figuring out what that means exactly. Fortunately, I start physical therapy tomorrow.

The next milestone for me will be to ditch the crutches. Even with the ability to partially use my right foot, I still find that I am exhausted when I have to walk around too much. I made the mistake of going to Costco the night that the cast came off and I suffered for it. I still break into a sweat if I've been standing on my good leg for too long. I am treating the scars with an over-the-counter ointment called Mederma. I've still got quite a bit of dead skin sloughing off the bottom of my foot too. But the good news is - I can get my foot wet. I spent Saturday at the neighbors, soaking in their hot tub (a little piece of heaven!). I also took a hot bath my first night home and it was wonderful to not have to balance my leg out of the tub. I'm definitely making progress!

The doc says it will likely be another 6 weeks before I am completely crutch and boot free and able to drive again. However, I have been told to expect intermittent swelling and stiffness for at least 6 months to a year. I'm trying not to get bogged down in the thought of a long recovery, and just be grateful for the progress I have made so far.

Thanks to all of my supporters for sticking with me up to this point!

No comments: