Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Indendence Day!

As we celebrate our country's "birthday" - the 230th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence - I would like to be signing my own declaration of independence. For me, the battle to be independent rages on.

I have just returned from a trip to the grocery store with my husband. I decided I could tag along using my crutches. Even after all these weeks, I still can't endure more than 15 minutes or so before I break into a complete sweat. It's so frustrating!! I tried to be helpful, hobbling down the aisles to take things off the shelf. But if the cart wasn't nearby, I found it very difficult to carry anything while using the crutches. ARGH!!

I am making a salad for our 4th of July party this afternoon. I will have my daughter put all of the ingredients on the kitchen counter, and then I will put a chair up to the counter and sit while I chop up the ingredients and assemble the salad. That's a baby step towards independence!

I see the doctor in 46 hours. Hopefully the cast comes off and the walking boot goes on. Another giant leap towards independence.

I wish everyone a blessed and happy Independence Day. A day to be thankful for the freedoms we are so proud of. And a day to think of our troops who are scattered all over the world, working to protect those freedoms.

HAPPY 4th of JULY!

No comments: